Historic Gledhow Valley woods

Eileen took 6 of us on a guided tour through Gledhow woods pointing out interesting historical sites including the Grade 2 listed Bath House of 1671; 17th cent. Gledhow Hall – remodelled by Yorkshire architect John Carr c1766, and the bridge of 1768 built to access the former pleasure gardens that included a lake, and where we paused for our picnic. Both Turner (in 1816) and Yorkshire artist Atkinson-Grimshaw (in 1872) painted the view here.

A bright and sunny (though very cold!) day was enjoyed by all, several of us never before having walked this pretty, local valley.